My name is Lydonia. I am currently expecting my first and very possiblly only child. I had my routine blood work done during my second trimester and thought everything was fine for the down’s syndrome test until the following Monday morning when I received that horrible phone call.
The doctor called and said I needed to have some additional test ran due to one of my blood levels being higher than normal range and that they need to see if a neural tube defect is present (the most common being spina bifida). I go to the specialist and discuss everything with him and have the amniocentesis I discovered that my baby is healthy and no worries for now at least.
However, had that test resulted in anything less negative then abortion would have had to become an option, I wouldn’t want to be selfless and cause my child a lifetime of hardship because of something that I actually could have made a decision to prevent. I’m not saying that it’s what I would’ve wanted to do but sometimes you have to make those choices.
I’m thankful everyday that God didn’t make me decide, however, I am still enduring a high risk pregnancy and still birth is still on my list of things that could happen, I always want the option, for myself, and if I have a daughter, she will need to have the option too.